- 1 rotisserie chicken, de-boned and shredded or 3 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 10 oz can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ large yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Mexican Red Chile Sauce
- 2-3 chipotle chiles, minced with sauce
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- Garnish options: cilantro, sour cream, cotija cheese, jalapeños, avocado slices, lime
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onions, zucchini, carrots and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, but not browned. Add chicken, Ro-Tel, chile sauce and broth and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
Heat the canola oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Cut tortillas into thin strips. Once oil is hot, reduce heat to medium low and fry the tortilla strips until golden brown. Set fried tortilla strips on layers of paper towels to cool. Add the cilantro to the soup just before serving. Soup can be served immediately with garnishes and tortilla strips.